Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Is the Monson Free Library Haunted?

Is the Monson Free Library haunted? I didn’t think so but I guess I am not “in tune” to spirits, or so I’m told. It has recently, just within the last year or so (c’mon, I’ve worked here eight years!)come to my attention that people have felt a “presence” in our community room, which was the original library built of Monson granite way back in 1882. It is a lovely room, fully restored 18 years ago when the wing was constructed. It houses portraits of the Mr. and Mrs. Horatio Lyon. The building was endowed by Mrs.Lyon in memory of her husband and is actually called the Horatio Lyon building. All this history brings me to the point of the “haunting”. Every person that has felt a presence has said it was definitely male and definitely not scary. Horatio perhaps?


All the stories are similar. Most people have felt someone standing beside or behind them. One person was in the storage area and actually called out, “Hey, who’s out there?” only to come into the room and find it empty. He claims he has felt this more than once. One of our staff members is part Native American and I look to her as the source of all spiritual knowledge. She has also felt a presence. When I asked her about spirits and hauntings, she said one reason might be because of the portraits. The portrait is signaling a spirit back. So again, is it the good spirit of Horatio? Possibly…

I started to investigate further. I asked Liz, a longtime employee that we joke started here in 1882. “So Liz, have you ever heard that the library was haunted?’ “Oh sure”, she replies! Who knew? How come this hasn’t been mentioned more frequently? Where is the folklore? I asked what she had heard. Liz, always the skeptic, verified the “presence’ story then added, “ but I think people just want to think the building is haunted because it is so old and could be considered spooky in appearance.” She said it is mostly kids that make this claim and well, that is to be expected. But no! says Deb, my spiritual guide. She said children often feel a presence because they are not as cluttered and more open to such experiences. So now what to think?

Ah who cares, what I really want to know is why haven’t I experienced this? I live for this library. I love the library! I’m here alone many times at night! Hmmm…am I a skeptic because Horatio hasn’t chosen me? Could be. Or maybe everyone else is just a bit sensitive? I guess it would be kind of cool to have a good library ghost named Horatio. So start spreading the news that yes! The Monson Free Library is haunted for all those believers. And yes! There is a great pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

~ Hope Bodwell, Director, Monson Free Library

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always easier to believe something when you actually experience it yourself.

Spend a night there alone and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

I have always felt the same way about it being haunted by a kindly older gentleman. Especially when below teh glass floors looking fo rbooks, I could sometimes feel someone beside me. * umm hhmm no one was there* I grew up in Monson and this wouldl happen several times to me. I lived at that Library as a child.
It hasn't happened to Hope cuz she may be a bit to giddy for the spirit.

Post a Comment