Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Becket Athenaeum Ghost

When I first began working at the Becket Athenaeum I was warned about the "ghost of the attic" . The Athenaeum is housed in an old church and the Director has talked about many scary happenings in the building. Sometimes when it is very quiet at the Athenaeum you can hear a creaking sound in the attic, which some have said is the ghost of a little girl, but in actuality it is an old chandelier that is hanging up in the attic and when the wind blows just right you can hear a creaking sound. I have scared myself a couple of times, working there when we are closed to the public and have had most of the lights off and have heard that noise, and then it would seem a moment or two later I would hear a book or 2 falling over in the stacks toward the back of the library. The first time this happened to me, I think I had only been working at the library for a month, I quickly gathered my things, and locked up for the evening and went home.

~ Nancy Wilson, Becket Athenaeum

No comments:

Post a Comment