Friday, April 2, 2010

MBLC Meeting on April 1, 2010: Statement of Representative Don Humason, R-Westfield

April 1, 2010

STATEMENT OF REPRESENTATIVE DON HUMASON, R-Westfield, TO THE MASS BOARD OF LIBRARY COMMISSIONERS

I write to add my voice to the thousands of librarians, staff, and patrons of libraries in Western Massachusetts who are the direct beneficiaries of the good works of the Western Mass Regional Library System.

I believe my credentials as a library enthusiast and supporter should be well known but let me fully disclose here that I am a member of the Westfield Athenaeum Board of Trustees as well as a Friend of the Westfield Athenaeum, a member of the Legislature’s Library Caucus, and a Friend of the Western Mass Regional Library System.

I have visited the WMRLS headquarters in South Deerfield personally and have seen the efficiency with which they provide their services firsthand. John Ramsay, the Regional Administrator of WMRLS, is my constituent, and I consider him a friend.

In my meeting with Chairman Charlie Murphy of the House Ways and Means Committee on March 11 to review my personal priorities for the Fiscal Year 2011 House budget, I also submitted my requests in writing and included the following statement:

     · Reject the Governor’s draconian cuts to libraries which are already serving more of our constituents during this economic downturn with fewer resources. Specifically: 7000-9401 State Aid to Regional Libraries.

     I believe libraries are a cornerstone of our cities and the most Democratic of all institutions. They serve everyone equally. The return on investment is high. For every dollar spent for Regional Library Services, Massachusetts library users get over $8 in services and savings.

You know all the statistics as well as I. A recent study concluded that 70% of our constituents use libraries. I remain hopeful that the House and Senate will restore the funds that Governor Patrick was unwise to cut from his budget.

Western Massachusetts should not have to bear the disproportionate pain that would result from the closing of WMRLS and the creation of one region headquartered in Eastern Massachusetts.

I urge your most favorable consideration on this matter and assure you of my continued commitment to fight for all library services in Massachusetts.

Thank you.

DONALD F. HUMASON, JR.
REPRESENTATIVE
WESTFIELD
District Office
64 NOBLE STREET
WESTFIELD, MA 01085
TEL. (413) 568-1366

Room 542, State House
TEL. (617) 722-2803
Rep.DonaldHumason@Hou.Sate.ma.us

No comments:

Post a Comment